Tuesday 31 December 2013

{Highs and Lows of 2013 - Happy New Year}

Kate from Kate on Thin Ice has invited me to take part in her Highs and Lows of 2013.


I took part in this last year, and it's actually really interesting to look back at what I wrote. You can find the post here.

Anyway, here are my answers for this year...

1. What was your happiest event?

My dad and his wife Jo moved back to Scotland. Welcome home Grandad & Nanny Jo :-)

2. What was the saddest thing to happen?

My close friends have had to deal with some very sad situations, I'm not going to list them all here - you know who you are. I still can't comprehend why bad things happen to good people.

3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen?

Despite hoping, wishing and planning, I didn't think it would actually happen... but we sold the marital home and I'm now settled in a new house.

4. Who let you down?

Last year I said that it was myself that let me down, and I think I'd probably still agree with this. There's been a lot of change this year though and I'm learning to be more confident and assertive.

5. Who supported you?

I've been seeing a counsellor on a weekly basis, since the summer time. I've come on leaps and bounds since then.

6. Tell us what you learned.

Everything happens for a reason.

You can't do it all... take help when it's offered. I had a horrific eye infection earlier this year that took two courses of oral antibiotics to get rid of it. This all came at a time when both little ones had chicken pox. It was tough.

7. Tell us what made you laugh.

My amazing boyfriend makes me laugh all the time. And he's handsome too! I'm feeling very lucky.

8. Tell us the things that made you cry.

Turns out I'm a weeper... I've cried lots this year. Over silly stuff. Songs on the radio, at scenes in movies (that aren't even upsetting!)... I've cried talking to my counsellor, I've cried talking to friends & family... I've had friends that have had to deal with horrific things this year, and I've cried for them. I'm hoping that in 2014 there will be less tears and more laughter, for all of us.

9. Tell us the three things your child or children did to make you feel proud.

This is an easy question to answer... I can think of three big changes that my little ones have done that have made me super proud:

The littlest has made the transition from her cot to a big girl bed, and she's been an angel. Staying in her big girl bed all night.

In addition, she is wearing big girl pants, and is dry through the night. No more nappies!

My son has given up his dummy. Santa took it on Christmas Eve and replaced it with a Batman cuddly toy. He's asked for it only twice since it went.

10. Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself.

This year, I went to my ex's house on Christmas morning and had breakfast with him (& my sister came too) before the kids woke up and opened their Santa presents. I'm glad that we're able to be civil with each other and I'm proud of the way I've dealt with the situation over this year and last.

I'm also getting much better at making big decisions on my own (with a bit of help/advice from others). This month we sold my car (a 4x4) and I downsized to a saloon...this will save me so much money in the long run. I picked the car (nearly) by myself and I'm really happy with my decision.

I've also hit my highest page views on the blog this month. I'm rather proud of that too :-)

11. Tell us the challenges you overcame.

Standing up for myself when dealing with others. I'm still not there yet, but I've certainly improved since last year.

Last year one of the parenting challenges I was dreading was ditching the dummies, but we did it and it wasn't as much of a big deal as I had anticipated.

I also successfully completed the Project 333 challenge... living with 33 items for 3 months.

12. Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2014.

Simple, I'd like to get divorced, draw a line under that chapter in my life and move on.

Hope you enjoy the new year celebrations, and I wish you happiness, health & success in 2014.




1 comment:

  1. You are moving forward all the time. Trusting a new bloke so soon in life terms is amazingly brave and I am so very pleased you seem so happy with him. Have no idea how you manage to do that Christmas thing - don't think I could but so much better for the children that you do. Here's to you and here's to us finally meeting in 2014. That will be groovy (hint as to what I am reviving this week or next)

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...