Tuesday 15 November 2011

{Poetry}



My Button

One of Kate's #groovingmums challenges was to investigate poetry and share a favourite, whether poetry is something you indulge in often, sometimes or never.

I did study Higher English at secondary school and we would have studied poetry at one point, but I'm not really a fan of poetry and it wouldn't really be something I'd choose to read. However, I did get thinking about poetry, and this is the first thing I thought of...

Shortly after my mum died, I saw a counsellor at a local Cruse Bereavement Centre. She (I think her name was Mary, but I may be wrong) was such a lovely lady and after a number of sessions I started to cope a bit better and was able to look ahead to the future. One week she gave me a piece of paper with a poem on it, and I still have this to this day pinned to a frame that sits in my room with a few passport photos of my mum and a picture I drew of her when I was 4 years old. I don't know who it is by, but I'll share it with you now...

"Those we love remain with us,
For love itself lives on
And cherished memories never fade
Because a loved one's gone.

Those we love can never be
More than a thought apart,
For as long as there is memory
They'll live on in the heart" 



4 comments:

  1. I love that picture and the sentiment too. When my mum died, the idea of memory-marking was all that sustained me so I totally get how this helped you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kate... was nice to spend some time remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. What a lovely picture and a lovely poem. So many memories and sentiment behind this. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this. I lost my Mom a few years ago and I still struggle with it sometimes. But I've learned that remembering my Mom opens up the hopeful part of me, even if it hurts a bit too.

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...