Thursday 30 October 2014

A Fresh Start

When I became a mummy, my career took a back seat and my priorities changed somewhat. When I returned to work after a year's maternity leave, I reduced my hours to part-time. My employer has been flexible to accommodate nursery and now school drop-offs and pick-ups. However, things have been super stressful outside of work in the last 4 years (dealing with the breakdown of my marriage, divorce proceedings, house move, Crohn's flare up...) and my motivation to advance in my career has been low and most certainly not my priority.

Life is now a bit more settled. Progress is being made with the divorce (slowly, but we're moving in the right direction) and I've now been in my new house for a year. My career has come to the forefront again. I started to question what I want to do with my life. Where did I see myself in 5 years time? And being brutally honest with myself, I didn't see myself staying where I was. I had become comfortable in my role and have been bored for a while. My boss even said (not just to me, but to the team) that you should stay with an employer for 4 years, learn as much as you can, and then change jobs. At this point I had been with the firm for 5 years. Cue alarm bells...

I had considered moving fields; desperate for a change and a new challenge. But I studied for 8 years, gaining a first class degree and a PhD, and I don't feel like I can throw that away. Not just yet anyway. So I started the search for a new employer, in the same field: science. Time for a fresh start.

It's been daunting. I've been with my current employer for 7 years, and it was my first proper job after my PhD. I have had to attend formal interviews and give presentations (eek!). I had to sell myself, which I don't think I'm terribly good at...

Anyway, the amazing news is that I've signed a contract for a job and I will start work with my new employer in January. It's part-time and they're being equally flexible about my hours which is perfect.

I'm really excited and I think I've found my work mojo again!




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I feel the same, I've been in my role for 10 years and it's all a bit stale now... too much work and more piled on constantly, all more demanding and never ever a hint of gratitude. The only reason I have stayed here so long is the flexibility with my hours and that I can work from home some days. I need to get my thinking cap on as I do want to be stuck in here for the next 22 years (when I retire) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that jobs would be that easy to find that were flexible, but you'd be surprised! x

      Delete
  2. That's fantastic news! Congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! Out of interest, did you find it difficult to find a part time role? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. Now I am a mum I have no idea what I want to do when I grow up lol Good luck in your new career. Also I have been in my job 4 years so maybe it's not so bad that I will be leaving instead of returning after maternity leave ends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I am desperately trying to work out how to change career, so it's lovely to hear about people switching things up and getting new jobs - it makes me excited!

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...