Wednesday 24 September 2014

{Ice Bucket Challenge and MND Scotland}

The ALS MND Ice Bucket Challenge was started to raise awareness and money for Motor Neurone Disease (MND) Association in the UK and the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Association in the US although a lot of people started to donate to other charities too.

Motor Neurone Disease is a group of illnesses that cause damage to the nerves (motor neurones). These are the nerves that control our muscles. Initial symptoms are muscle weakness. Different muscles may be affected in different people, so some may have trouble walking or lifting their arms whilst others can struggle to speak, chew and swallow. The disease gets worse with time and may also spread to other muscles. Sufferers can lose the use of their limbs or parts of their body.

I was nominated for the challenge three times, and with much consideration I had decided not to participate. I was of the opinion that throwing a bucket of ice over my head wasn't going to achieve anything as there were so many other videos already out there. When I had seen that people had injured themselves, and I think someone even died participating (not sure if that was a hoax or not) then I was keen for the challenges just to stop.

That was until my friends Peter & Jenn came to Glasgow from Newcastle for the weekend and I was sort of forced to participate. Peter was the first to nominate me!

It was absolute carnage.

I had explained to the kids that R was going to pour cold water over mummy's head and got them watering cans full of cold water so they could join in too.

Both they and I did not anticipate just how cold it was going to be. Cue my screams, and then lots of screaming and upset from them as they thought I was hurt or something. My son, bless him, went after R and tried to defend me...watch the clip below to see what happens! I suggest you turn down your volume though if you don't want to be deafened!


   

The most important thing though is to donate. I donated to MND Scotland. You can make a contribution to them by texting ICED14 £5 to 70070 to donate £5.

I didn't nominate anyone, but I ask you to please watch this... it's the last ALS Ice Bucket Challenge that you need to see:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...