Saturday 24 May 2014

{Style Icons & My Inspiration}

I remember we were asked in primary school what we wanted to be when we grew up as part of a class discussion. I wanted to be a model. I was laughed at when I told everyone.

I grew up in awe of Cindy Crawford. I used to draw on a beauty spot using my mum's brown liquid eyeliner. I know I won't have been the only girl that used to do that!! I also loved Kylie Minogue. I still have a lot of the toys from when I was a wee girl, and my littlest now loves to play with the baby doll that I had, and she's called Kylie. The name has stuck!

All the photographs of me are in my loft otherwise I'd have dug out one of me with my beauty spot to show you all!


When we lived in the Middle East, I got told that I looked like a young Bridget Bardot. Although at age nine years, I had zero clue who Bridget Bardot was... I'm guessing that it was maybe the pout that made them think Bridget Bardot.


In my early twenties I would regularly buy fashion magazines and spend ages flipping through the pages whilst scoffing Malteasers. But it's now rare for me to buy a magazine. The only time I would read a mag these days would be at the hairdresser or if I was travelling sans children (which is rare!).

Now I get my style inspiration either online (Pinterest anyone!?) or from watching movies. I tend to find that I gravitate towards more classic looks and not bother so much with the trends. I'm not sure I could even tell you what the fashion trends are right now. Monochrome perhaps? Neon? I think I've always been old before my time! 

I love animal print and sequins, my favourite colour is grey and I hate my upper arms so always end up with them covered unless it's really too hot and I was on holiday or something. 

I've dabbled with trying new things... like the bright orange sleeveless silk top I bought when I was with the Personal Shopper at House of Fraser. But due to the fact I hate my upper arms, I've hardly worn the vest unless I've got a jacket on over the top (which I would definitely not be taking off!). I convinced myself when I bought it that I would wear it, but in the two and a half years that I've owned it, I reckon I've worn it 3 or 4 times.

My wardrobe is in serious need of an overhaul. I know this. I just don't have the money right now to invest in new pieces. My plan is to sell a few things on eBay and then hopefully I can then buy some other items to replace them. First up will be some new clothes for work (just 3 more lbs to lose to reach my target!). Then I'll sort the rest! In the meantime I will enjoy pinning a wish list of clothes I love.

Here are some star styles that I love who will no doubt inspire my new wardrobe:







Who are your style icons?

WebRep
currentVote
noRating
noWeight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...