Thursday 14 June 2012

{Macmillan Cancer Support}

As many of you will know, I ran the Edinburgh Half Marathon a few weeks ago and I was raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support (the total raised at the moment is in the region of £4600!!).

Anyway, I was asked if I would participate in some PR for Macmillan, so on they day I had my photograph taken and I had to answer some questions after the event too. I think they are going to use my story for some advertising for the 2013 campaign!

I thought I would share the photographs and 'interview' here with you all, perhaps it will inspire some of you too?


1.      How did you feel before the race/at the start line?

I was a little nervous at the start of the race. This was my first ever race, and I didn't know what to expect. There were a lot of people! The music from the radio station was blaring throughout the crowds and there was such a buzz of anticipation in the air! As we started crossed the starting line my nerves calmed down, I plugged my earphones in and I started the long jog to the finish.

2.      How did it feel when you crossed the finish line?

I felt brilliant! I had paced myself throughout the run (particularly due to the hot weather that day!), and by the end I still had enough energy for a little sprint through the finish line with a massive smile on my face. I was so pleased that I had made it to the end!

3.      Why did you decide to run for Macmillan?

My mum died of ovarian cancer in June 2001. I wanted to raise funds for a cancer charity, and so selected Macmillan.

4.      What kept you going when it got tough?

I knew that my mum would have been so proud of me, so thoughts of her kept me going. 

5.      Were you impressed with the Macmillan cheer-points?

The cheer-points definitely kept me going. It was such a buzz to hear everyone shouting my name and words of encouragement. 

6.      What was the support like that you got in the lead up to the race?

I had plenty of support in the run up to the race. The Macmillan newsletters were brilliant and I knew that I could call upon someone from the team for help if I had needed it.

7.      Was it proud moment?

I am so proud of myself for finishing the Edinburgh Half Marathon! At the end of the race I made my way to the Macmillan tent and the cheerleaders shouted out my name as I walked up the red carpet for my leg massage! I was beaming. Such a great feeling!! I was also really pleased with my time - I had wanted to finish in under 2.5 hours, and my time was 2 hours 12 minutes. Result!

8.      Have you been involved with other Macmillan fundraising events before?

No

9.      Do you think you’ll do it again?

Yes, definitely. All going well I'm hoping to run the full marathon next year!

10.  What would you say to encourage someone thinking of running for Macmillan next year?

Do it! With the right training it's certainly achievable and with Macmillan you will be running for a fantastic cause. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...