Tuesday, 29 May 2012

{Result... Half Marathon - Done!}

I took part in the Edinburgh Half Marathon on Sunday, as many of you will already know from either reading my blog or following me on Twitter.

I was rather nervous - it was my first ever race!

I was totally disorganised, which I have to say is not like me at all. Literally a few days before the race I managed to finalise my travel arrangements! I think it had been adding to the stress, because once that was sorted I did feel a bit more confident about it all.

My running number hadn't arrived in the post though, so I had the added hassle of having to collect it in person in Edinburgh the day before.

So on Saturday afternoon I dropped the children with my in-laws and headed off on the train for Edinburgh. My lovely neighbours were kind enough to let me borrow their daughter's student flat for the night, which just happened to be empty at the time. The location was ideal - just a 5 min walk from the start of the race.

The night before I laid out all my running gear, just like you would before the first day back at school!

In the morning I was awake super early (5am!!)... this time it wasn't because of the children, it was my nerves! I was paranoid that I was going to sleep in! I also needed to be up early so that I could have my breakfast and then have plenty of time for the food to settle before the race started at 8am. So at 6am I was sat having porridge and a banana, in my running gear and all set to go! 

Here I am at the race start... (yes, I'm wearing make-up but I was having my photograph taken for Macmillan Cancer Support so I wanted to look good!)

Thankfully on Sunday the weather was a little cooler, in the morning at least. I was a bit chilly at 7.30am waiting for the race to start! There was such an atmosphere, and even writing about it now it brings a smile to my face. The radio DJ was shouting out motivating messages, the music was blaring and everyone was lined up ready to go... then the race started! I was running alone as my sister had injured her ankle, but I just plugged in my music and off I went. 

I ran a consistent 10 minute mile. I was using a Nike+ GPS app on my iPhone and it told me my pace every 0.5 miles, so I knew if I was going too fast or too slow. I didn't want to overdo it in the heat (by 9am it was getting hot!) and so I just kept a steady pace and kept on running!

At each Macmillan cheer point I passed my name was shouted and it encouraged me to keep going. What a buzz!!

At around 12 miles I saw a young-ish guy collapse and someone was putting him in the recovery position. I'm guessing he collapsed because of the heat and that he hadn't been taking enough fluids. I personally don't know how the marathon runners managed, as their race started at 10am when it was even hotter! I drank a lot of Lucozade Sport on Saturday (thanks @ScumMum for the constant reminders to drink!) and during the race on Sunday and I actually managed ok. I have to say, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I completed the race in 2 hours and 12 minutes - I'm pretty chuffed with that.

I picked up the pace at the end and I ran through the finish line with a massive smile on my face.

...and here I am at the end with my medal! (Hair & make-up still in place!!)

At the moment, the total amount we've raised for Macmillan Cancer Support is £4,323. Thank you to everyone for your support and donations - I couldn't have done it without you.


  1. Way to go that is amazing. xx

  2. Wow. Sounds like you did fabulously. x

  3. Wow, well done, that is a brilliant time! Love the fact you wore make up! Reading your post brought back smiles to my face of last month and doing the Edinburgh rock and roll half marathon and if you feel anything like I did afterwards you will be on a high x


Blog design by aleelily designs | Powered by Blogger.