Monday 7 May 2012

{Kate's Groovy Challenges}

Ok, so I've not been very grooving lately, but here is my attempt at a catch up with Kate On Thin Ice's grooving mums blog hop. Baby is sleeping, and toddler is happily playing in the next room... hopefully I'll have 5-10 minutes of peace to write this post *crosses fingers*




My Button


Here are Kate's challenges this week:
1. Body – What new ways can you find to take exercise?  Check out what is offered at your local leisure centres and community venues.  Is there something you could do at home to increase your fitness?


I've gone along to my local gym for their Body Pump classes a couple of times recently with my friend Becky @OliveDragonfly. I actually really enjoy the classes and prefer to attend a class than just go along to the gym. I'm still doing my running - 3 weeks now to the half marathon. Yesterday I ran 8 miles. Was supposed to be 9,  but I could feel my tummy starting to go and I thought it was best just to get home. I'll be doing 10 or 11 miles next weekend - yikes! I'm also continuing with my weekly Pilates class. The only issue at the moment is that all this exercise takes time, and I've got soooo many other things I need to be doing too, like laundry! Despite the exercise, my weight is creeping up. I've now put on about 8 or 9 lbs since going back to work in January. This isn't a big deal, but I'm happy with my weight at the moment and I really don't want it to continue to go up. I need to start paying more attention to what I'm eating. Too many cakes and goodies are being consumed at the moment.  



2. Mind – It is Depression Awareness Week.  Have you experienced depression?  Do you know how to spot the signs of depression in your loved ones and others?  Check out http://blackdogtribe.com for information and support with mental health issues.  They are also asking for your stories.
This week I thought I had hit rock bottom. I was convinced I wasn't coping and I believed that all the goings on over the past four months had finally hit me. Turns out it was the build up to a small Crohn's episode and I actually feel more like myself again, phew! 


Today is a sad day... it would have been my mum's birthday and she would have been 62 years old. My mum was 51 when she passed away. So young. Yesterday I was doing some gardening as the kiddies were having a day with their daddy. My mum loved to be in the garden. I've planted a tree in a pot in my front garden, in some way it's a little reminder of her. Her grave stone is in Aberdeen so I don't get the opportunity to visit very often. 
3. Blogging – Did you know http://britmums.com publish round-ups of good posts on certain issues such a food, politics, special needs, green issues, health and more?  Why not promote your posts to the editors of these round-ups and raise your profile?

I've tweeted my link for my Crohn's and Colitis Month post to @BritMums. I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 21 years old. It's a horrible condition but thankfully I seem to have mine under control *touches wood*. I've got an appointment with my consultant next week, so I'll see what he thinks of my recent episode and if it's anything to be concerned about. I think I've been doing too much and it's my body telling me to rest and slow down. I've been very honest in my post and hopefully this will help raise awareness.
4. Special Days – This week saw us marking St George’s Day.  Is there a dragon that you need to tackle in your life?

I'm working on this...
5. Charity Connections- Get shopping online and hundreds of retailers will give a percentage of what you spend to a charity of your choice.  Click here http://www.give.as/kateonthinice  and register for free for Give As You Live with your name and email address.  Do it today!  You don’t have to spend any money now but it means when you do shop online you can ensure some of the money goes to a good cause.  Why wouldn’t you?  When you click, you will see poppies because I am personally raising money for the Royal British Legion but you can register here and then when you shop, you can select a charity of your choice.

I shop a lot online and have signed up for Give As You Live. I need to have a proper look and pick a charity.
6,  The Big Question – What has the last year brought you? Are you happy with it?

So much has happened in the last year... a lot of change. I started 2012 as a single mum, went back to work at the end of January three days a week after finishing my maternity leave and I'm slowly getting into a new routine, and a new groove. I'm happier than I was this time last year, and hopefully things continue to get better and better. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...