Wednesday 14 March 2012

{A Mother's Work Meme}

Right, I've been tagged by A Working Mum to participate in A Mother's Work Meme which was started by mother.wife.me

Here goes...

  • Please post the rules... done!
  • Answer the questions, in as much or as little detail as suits you
  • Leave a comment on mother.wife.me so we can keep track of the meme
  • Tag 3 people and link to them on your blog
  • Let them know you tagged them
  • Tweet loudly about taking part (well, ok, that isn't a rule, but how about if we start a hashtag #amothersworkmeme)
Questions:

Did you work before becoming a mum?

Yes, I have spent a number of years at university studying - I successfully completed a degree and I was mad enough to go onto study for a PhD too. I went from university into the 'real world' in 2007, working full-time job with a small Glasgow-based company.

What is your current situation?

I am still with my original employer. After the birth of my son, I returned to work after 12 months maternity leave on a part-time basis (3 days a week, Mon-Wed) and I have since had my daughter and I returned to in January after 9 months maternity leave, and I am still working 3 days a week. My employer has been very understanding of my situation, my hours are flexible to allow me to do the nursery drop-off / pick-up and I returned to work after my second child to a new promoted position and snazzy new job title! 

I believe I have a good work/life balance, even if I am a little tired at times!

Freestyle - got your own point you'd like to get across on this issue... Here's your chance!

My son is nearly 3 years old and will qualify for a funded nursery place at a council nursery or partnership provider from August this year. This is a free term-time, part-time place (3 hours per day / 15 hours per week). Unfortunately, the nursery at which my son is settled is not a partnership provider (when we had enrolled him I was under the impression that by the time it came to him turning 3 years old that they would have become a partnership provider, but they still are not - nightmare!). I'm now in a quandary as to what to do. I've put in an application for a council nursery, but it's also a placement request as the nursery is out with my catchment. I very nearly missed the cut off too - why are these deadlines not publicised more? I found out about the application process two days before the submission deadline!! Then, if I do get a funded nursery place, do I move my son from the nursery that he's settled in?? How will I work things if my son is at a different nursery from my daughter?? What happens if I can't get the funded nursery hours compressed into two days rather than 3 hours a day over 5 days?? Argh... I'm very stressed about it all! Why is it not easier?? There, rant over!

I'm not sure which of my mummy 'friends' on Twitter are working parents (well, we're all working really!) and those that are stay at home parents. So if there is anyone out there reading this that wants to join in the meme, then please feel free... :-)

3 comments:

  1. What a nightmare! I hope that you mange to get it sorted out soon.

    I didn't realise that certain nurseries don't take part in the 15 hours a week funded nursery place. It's something that we'll have to look in to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Firstly, your blog is so pretty, I am in awe! Secondly, thanks so much for taking part in A Mother's Work Meme. It is brilliant to read that work / life balance can be achieved when you have a forward thinking employer.

    I will soon be in the same situation with you on the childcare front. I hadn't realised that the 15h a week thing wasn't currently for all nurseries. I also concur that the awareness and publicity around deadlines for applying for state nursery for 3yr olds is almost non-existant. I only managed to attend ( a very poorly attended) open day because I had rung up at the start of the week to ask what the process was, if I hadn't made that call, I wouldn't have even known about the open day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea the 15hr thing was not for all nurseries! It really should be, can't see the problem as surely the nursery still gets their money? Some can be funny about it even when they are partners. A friend of mine has a child where only £10 is discounted per three hour use of the 15 hrs (if that makes sense). There should be some sort of fair trading group for nurseries and what they charge?!

    ReplyDelete

Beauty with a Conscious

I volunteer most weeks with the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice, located in Bellahouston Park, Glasgow, where I deliver a mindfulness m...